Thursday, June 18, 2009

A strange condition

I thought I would share this. Last night I did some prep work for this morning. Every Thursday morning we have veterans from the area come in a share their first hand accounts of the wars they proudly served in. The way I light these interviews is with a lot of key light and even more back light to create the sense that they are surrounded by darkness. It is not a complicated scheme, but I have perfected it. I spent some extra time to get it just right and got the cameras tweaked in, I brought the vet into the studio and the first thing he said as he sat down, "Feels like I am getting the 3rd Degree". This is a common statement, but this vet had a real concern. He had a strange disorder that made him almost black out when he was under bright lights, it wasn't epilepsy, but some other chronic disorder. I thought to myself he has be joking, but then his daughter confirmed his condition. After some quick thinking and adjusting I set some lights to where he was comfortable, and we recorded his interview. The two things that bothered me about this occurrence, 1st, I put in the extra work for nothing, 2nd, he knew full well he was getting interviewed for television, did it ever cross his mind there would be lights?

2 comments:

Matt Blodgett said...

Sounds like a con artist. Is your wallet missing?

RMWJR Technology News and Notes said...

Why do I read your stuff? Like I don't have anything else to do - sleep, that sounds like a good idea, one of those disorders I have. Why can't the human body run 24/7 like our minds do when working with the disabled, like vets. Guys who may have been in prison camps or other such places like when bombs drop and light up the sky.

Another disorder has to do with flashes on cameras. I can't stand having my picture taken because for several minutes I see red, white, and blue dots which distort everything. I nearly pass out from seeing polka dotted people.